On the Bike Forums they have a challenge that is called the C&V Clunker Challenge.
It has a couple rules.
- A costs for bike and parts are to be $100 or less (USD)
- Any free or previously owned parts are to be costed at FMV (Fair Marker Value) and are part of the $100 cost.
- the bike must be ridden 100km (62.1371 miles) total preferably 100km at once or can be broken down.
- you have a 100 days to do this!
This year we started this on July 3. (last Day Oct 11th)
I was hoping to find a crusty Schwinn, but i found this instead,its a nice bike but often overlooked as it was a big bike shop brand bike.
1985 Nashbar Toure MT
July 5 2017: The Purchase!
Got the frame mostly stripped down so i could get the frame cleaned up and inspected.
- Initial Investment: $20.00
- New Cables and Housing: $10.71
- Shimano SPD pedals (Used): $16.13
- Used Tektro Brake Levers: $5.00
- Used Continental 27 x 1- 1/4″ tire: $5.00
- New tube: (2@$5.00) $10.00
- New Bar tape: 11.50
- Total: $78.34
- Make/Model: 1985 Nashbar Toure MT
- Size: 62cm
- Tubing: Cro-Mo Double Butted Tubing
- Color: Metallic Blue
- Front Derailleur: Suntour Mountech (OG)
- Rear Derailleur: Suntour Mountech 2nd gen (OG)
- Shifters: Suntour Symmetric (OG)
- Brakes: Shimano STX Cantilevers
- Brake Levers: Tektro Aero
- Cranks: Sakae CR 110BCD 170mm , 50/34/26 (OG)
- Bottom Bracket: Suntour Sealed Square Taper (OG)
- Freewheel:13-32 Sachs-Maillard 6 Speed
- Pedals: Shimano SPD
- SeatPost: Sakae 27.2mm (OG)
- Seat: Sella Italia
- Stem: Specialized
- Handlebars: NL Drop Bar Ergo
- Headset: Tange (OG)
- Hubs: Suntour Sealed Bearing 34/40 (OG)
- Wheels: Araya 34/40 (OG)
- Tires: Continental Ultra 27x 1-1/4
(OG)= Denotes Item was possibly original to bike